Why Badminton?

It’s friday afternoon, winding down from my office job and I’m in a melancholy mood. I find myself asking: ‘Why did I end of taking badminton as my main sport of leisure?’ Why not another racquet sport like tennis? or something more leisurely like golf? I have to admit, I was absolutely useless at sport when I was in school. And other than occasional visits to the gym and perhaps the odd driving range visit, my sporting career was non existent. A lot of it is circumstance, there are several sports halls nearby that had facilities for badminton and my friends play regularly so I had someone to go with. I liked the fact its an indoor sport that is not affected greatly by the weather ( remember it being winter when I first started :) When I picked up a racquet for the first time ,approximately 6 years ago at time of writing, I couldn’t hit a single return for love or money. The club I had joined was fairly accommodating to newbies and there were some intermediate players who were willing to play with me and teach me thing or two along the way. I liked watching the pros and seeing how effortless they made the game, yet how intense it was. I was eager to learn a thing or two and found like the best things in life, easy to pickup but difficult to master. So, here I am, now fully involved in my favourite pastime, running my own club and sharing my passion with others like me. What made you pick a badminton racquet for the first time? Was it a friend / colleague or family member that introduced you to it? Did you play it whilst still in full time education?